The Junior Cycle is a three year programme offering students a broad and balanced curriculum. Students will study the following compulsory subjects: Gaeilge, English, Maths, History, Geography, Science, CSPE (Civic Social & Political Education). Most students will study French or German. Students will also have the opportunity to study two of the following subjects: Art Craft and Design, Business Studies, Home Economics, Music, Materials Technology (Wood), Metalwork and Technology. All students will study the following non-examination subjects: Religious Education, Physical Education and SPHE (Social Personal and Health Education).
Transition Year is an optional one-year programme that is designed to act as a bridge between the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate programmes. Students will study a wide range of subjects within 12 week modules. The programme includes: Gaeilge, English, Maths, History, Geography, Accountancy, Environmental Studies, Media Studies, Classical Studies, Art and Design, Woodwork, Metalwork, Mini Company, ICT, Career Guidance and Work Experience.
- The aims of the Transition Year Programme are as follows:
To provide education for maturity with an emphasis on social awareness and increased social competence.
- To promote general, technical and academic skills with an emphasis on inter-disciplinary and self-directed learning.
- To provide education, through experience of adult and working life as a basis for personal development and maturity.
The course offered consists of core subjects, Gaeilge, English, Maths, Development Studies, Word Processing, Work Experience, Religious Education, Physical Education, with a range of modular programmes of studies, work placements and social awareness programmes.
The Leaving Certificate is a two year programme that aims to provide students with a broad, balanced education. The following are core subjects:
Physical EducationInformation Communication Technology
* Students in L.C.1 choose 4 subjects and students in L.C.2 choose 3 subjects from the following:
Business Home EconomicsFrench or German
* L.C.1 (Leaving Cert 1). Students take seven Leaving Cert subjects. At least four will be taken at higher level. A language, other than Irish or English, must be included.
L.C.2 (Leaving Cert 2). Students take six Leaving Cert subjects. Extra time is given to core subjects.
Leaving Certificate Applied
The Leaving Certificate Applied programme is based on the concept of continuous assessment. The teaching approach is practical and task based. It is a fully accepted and accredited part of the second level education system.
Features of the L.C.A. are:
- Broad and balanced curriculum
- Emphasis on practical work
- Half yearly sessions with feedback every session
- Four terms of work experience
- Vocational preparation
- Continuous assessment (credit accumulation)
- Access to further education and training
Selection for L.C.A. is by interview and has proven to be a very popular course. Students are awarded a Leaving Certificate Applied Certificate on successful completion of the two years.