The Board of Management recognises that child protection and welfare permeate all aspects of school life and must be reflected in all of the school’s policies, practices and activities. Accordingly, in accordance with requirements of the Department of Education and Skills’ Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools, the Board of Management of Old Bawn Community School has agreed the following child protection policy:
- The Board of Management has adopted and will implement fully and without modification the Department’s Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools as part of this overall child protection policy.
- The Designated Liaison Person (DLP) is Mr Paul Crone (Principal).
- The Deputy Designated Liaison Person (Deputy DLP) is Ms Jennifer Gray (Deputy Principal).
- In its policies, practices and activities, Old Bawn Community School will adhere to the following principle of best practice in child protection and welfare:
The school will
- Recognise that the protection and welfare of children is of paramount importance, regardless of all other considerations;
- Fully co-operate with the relevant statutory authorities in relation to child protection and welfare matters
- Adopt safe practices to minimise the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect;
- Develop a practice of openness with parents and encourage parental involvement in the education of their children; and
- Fully respect confidentiality requirements in dealing with child protection matters.
The school will also adhere to the above principles in relation to any adult pupil with
a special vulnerability
- The Board has ensured that the necessary policies, protocols or practices as appropriate are in place in respect of each of the listed policies below;
- Code of Behaviour, Anti-bullying, Attendance, School Trips, Mobile Phone Policy
- The policy has been made available to school personnel and the Parent’s Association and is readily accessible to parents on request.
- This policy will be reviewed by the Board of Management in every school year.
This policy was adopted by the Board of Management on 27th November 2012.
Reviewed: 19th November 2013
Reviewed: 25th November 2014
Reviewed: 18th April 2016